Thursday, May 26, 2011

My Success

I'm trying to lose weight. There. I've said it to the internet. Now I can't take it back. Reaching my goal weight and learning Swedish are my primary goals over the next two years (not including, of course, getting married).

I'm using a particular weight loss website but I am not relying on a special trick. I count calories everyday. I clock in below my calorie limit everyday. I walk, which is necessary where I live, but rarely do any other special exercise. I hope to incorporate more exercising in eventually but I'm in no rush.

The website I use, myfitnesspal.com, seems to be designed to encourage, inspire, and de-mystify weight loss techniques. The sense of self-accomplishment is pervasive. I feel proud whenever I log in. I regularly lurk the "Success Stories" and goggle over before and afters and look forward to the day when I can be a before and after also.

However, though the site claims it will remove all references to what it deems controversial topics like politics and religion, many a member include a Bible verse or another religious reference in their message board signatures. I really am not bothered by the site failing to remove them because I don't like the rule in the first place. I am struck, though, but how counterproductive so many of the quotes seem to be.

Here are some examples:

1 Cor 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.

GOD be with me, lead me, guide me, strengthen me, never leave my side....AMEN

Taking control of what I can and allowing God to handle what's out of my control.

It's depressing to come across people who have accomplished so much and can't take credit for what they've done. It's even more depressing to come across people so willing to cede control or responsibility. I do this for me and have done it with the support of my fiancé, family, and friends, but mostly through my own determination. I feel sorry for you if you think otherwise.

For anyone who's wondering: 40 days, 14 lbs.

1 comment:

  1. You're not trying to lose weight - you're doing it!

    Not being able to take credit for your own accomplishments is a sad thing. The other side of that coin is not taking responsibility for your mistakes.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete